JS is OFF! COVENTRY UNITED F.C. | Sporting Khalsa 3-2 Coventry United

Sporting Khalsa 3-2 Coventry United

Date: 07 April 2019 at 11:15 by Liam Cook

Coventry United ended their Total Motion Midland Football League travels for the campaign with a 3-2 defeat at Sporting Khalsa.


The Red and Greens left empty handed after a thrilling battle at the Aspray Arena, but can count themselves unlucky after a bizzare decision from the official to award a free kick, which lead to the home side’s winning goal in added time. United manager Terry Anderson made three changes to the side which relegated Dunkirk on Wednesday night with a 1-0 win, with Harry Sawyer and Tyler Haddow dropping to the bench, and Sam Belcher not included in the matchday squad. Captain Jamal Clarke, midfielder Jake Holt and forward Dominik Alleyne all returned to the staring line-up.


Ex United forward Mykel Beckley, now of Sporting Khalsa, tested Brendan Bunn in the Coventry goal, Bunn dropping to his knees to deflect a close range effort away. At the other end, a well worked counter run from Kyle Carey saw the winger in the box, ready to strike at Sam Arnold, but a smart palm from the Khalsa keeper kept it scoreless. Khalsa had the best of the opening 10 minutes, and took the lead through Sean Williams. A short corner to Thomas was crossed to the far post, where William nodded it across Bunn into the top corner to open the scoring. Daniel Dubidat came within inches of an equaliser with a header onto the crossbar, but soon after the Red and Greens had drawn level with Jake Holt’s second goal in 4 days. A low, powerful drive into the bottom corner from edge of the box, resulting in Holt’s fourth goal of the season.


Khalsa would have to wait until the 63rdminute to restore their lead, with Dubidat acrobatically sending a rebound home. Another set piece would catch United out, with a free kick routine eventually finding Leon Miles at the far post. The centre-backs headed attempt was kept out by Bunn, but the save was sent into the path of Miles, whose mid air scissor kick flew past the United shotstopper. Terry Anderson introduced the free scoring Tyler Haddow, who soon found the net, albeit in fortuitous circumstances. Dominik Alleyne’s cross from the right should have been easy pickings for defender Remi Birch, but the right-back’s poor touch was picked up by Haddow, who was never going to miss one on one. It seemed Haddow’s strike would be enough to earn United a well deserved point, but Khalsa, and the official, had other ideas. A free kick was given in controversial circumstances as Coventry United duo Lewis Ison and Gift Mussa both tried to win the ball mid air outside the box, without infringing on any of the opposition players. The free kick resulted in a corner, which lead to Leon Miles’ 91stminute winner, although his centre-back partner and Khalsa captain Shawn Boothe claimed he got the final touch. A sad way to end a fantastic contest.


CUTV’s exclusive highlights and Keith Green’s match report are now available to view via the links below.