Coventry United FC v Shepshed Dynamo FC

Midland Football League Premier Division


Date:     Saturday 28th October 2017

KO:       3.00pm

Venue: Butts Park Arena

Attendance: 230


Well hello one and all. After the excitement of the pulsating FA Vase Cup victory against Lutterworth United last week, United this week return to league action with the visit of Shepshed Dynamo FC.

The Dynamo’s have had a good start to their league campaign with a couple of good scalps collected along the way, notably their 3-0 drubbing of Bromsgrove Sporting last week. With them tucked in behind United but only a point between them, this is surely going to be another testing fixture for United as they try to put a string of results together to get themselves back in touch with the current leading pack.

United have this week announced the departure of defender Jamie Coleman after a very successful time with the club but he has decided to move onto pastures new and we all wish him well for the future and I’m sure Jamie will be welcomed back by the Red and Green army anytime.

With Jamie’s departure, the club have announced the arrival of a new player to the club. We welcome Defender/Midfielder Bobby Moseley (21yrs) who will be available for selection for today’s game.

The referee gets the game under way and United waste no time in showing their intent. They work the ball forward well up to Mitchell Piggon who is the captain in the absence Chris Cox before he turns and shoots and the SDFC keeper Denham Hinds is forced into a good early save to deny Piggon in the 4th minute.

United have started brightly and are trying to play football at every opportunity and another good chance is not long in coming. From a quickly taken free kick the ball is played to Craig Reid who does well before laying the ball back to his strike partner Mitchell Piggon. Piggon connects with the ball firmly but his goal bound shot is once again gathered by the SDFC keeper Denham Hinds in the 8th minute.

SDFC finally start to put some pressure on the United defence when they win a succession of corners that are all gladly dealt with in the 13th,14th& 15th minutes. They then win a free kick in the 18th minute that’s taken by the No8 Liam Hurst who in turn brings out a good save from United’s keeper Richard Morris. United’s Kyle Barnett earns himself a yellow card for conceding that free kick and was in my opinion a little unlucky to be punished so harshly.

With both teams now seeming to just be cancelling each other out, further chances are few and far between for the next 10 minutes or so. The 28th minute saw the SDFC No4 Joe Pheasant get a yellow card for hauling down Lewis Rankin and the resulting free kick taken by Rankin brings out another good save from the keeper Denham Hinds. United win another two free kicks during the next 8 minutes but both are easily gathered by the SDFC keeper.

With the first half now into the last 5 minutes, both teams create a chance apiece. Firstly after a long throw in for SDFC, the No6 Niall Prenderville and his shot is well saved by keeper Richard Morris in the 42nd minute. Then with the clock on 45+1 minutes, from another throw in, Craig Reid receives the ball and turns his marker neatly to create some space to get his shot off and the SDFC keeper Denham Hinds gathering comfortably. Soon after the referee blows up for half time with the deadlock unbroken.

Half Time


Second Half

The second half gets under way and United have made a half time change by taking off Brad Jones and sending on Aron Wint. The pack is shuffled around a little and the game is under way. SDFC have started this half with a bit more vigour and the No7 Cosmas Matwasa jinked his way across the edge of the United area before sending his shot high over the bar in the 49th minute. United’s keeper Richard Morris is called into action when he has to punch clear a SDFC corner in the 51st minute as SDFC put United under some early second half pressure.

That pressure is relieved when United mount an attack or two of their own when Mitchell Piggon heads just over the bar from an Aron Wint cross in the 53rd minute and after some great persistent running from the excellent Tommy Glasscoe, his cross come shot is cleared away to safety in the 55th minute. Chances are starting to come and its United who are having the lion’s share in this half. United’s Lewis Rankin is hauled down just outside the area in the 56th minute and earns his team a free kick in a great position. Rankin picks himself up to take it and duly rifles in a fantastic curling shot that flies into the top corner of the net leaving the keeper Denham Hinds with no chance for the opening goal of the game.


What a great finish that was from Rankin, a goal to grace any game. Shortly after SDFC decide to make some changes when they take off the No11 Ben Harris and send on the No12 Stuart McNaught in the 64th minute and then take off the No7 Cosmas Matwasa and send on the No14 Alex Troke in the 72nd minute.

With SDFC still settling into their changes, their No5 captain Jake Betts is shown a yellow card for his foul on Lewis Rankin in the 73rd minute with the resulting free kick being easily dealt with. Then in the 77th minute after yet another tackle on United’s Tommy Glasscoe, the SDFC No2 Adam Hohn is booked for showing dissent to the referee. With the free kick being delayed, it’s finally taken and when the ball gets knocked out to Mitchell Piggon, he fires in a low powerful angled drive that arrows into the corner of the net for another fine United goal in the 78th minute.


Well with 10 minutes plus added time to go, United should hopefully be able to see this game out and claim the 3pts. United decide to make another change in the 80th minute when they take off Mitchell Piggon and send on Aaron Opoku.

United are finishing the game strong and chances soon arrive when Aron Wint’s cross is met by Craig Reid who turns sharply before seeing his shot go straight to the keeper Denham Hinds in the 84th minute. Then Craig Reid does exceptionally well to lay the ball back for Aaron Opoku who had time to stroke the ball into the net but blazed his shot over the bar from 10yrds out in the 85th minute.

That was a great chance for Opoku and he should have scored really. United make their final change of the afternoon when they take off Tommy Glasscoe who came off the pitch to a very appreciative Red and Green army and then send on Reece Saye in the 86th minute.

Another chance for United comes along in the 88th minute when Aaron Opoku does well before laying the ball to Craig Reid. Reid turned well again to get his shot in but the keeper Hinds was there again to mop it up with consummate ease.

Now the game is into added time and United loose the ball in midfield and allow SDFC to mount a late attack. The ball is crossed into the area and seems to take a deflection on its way through and the ball drops kindly for the SDFC No5 Jake Betts for the simplest of chest in’s you will ever see to grab a late late consolation goal in the 90+3 minutes.

With that being the last highlight of this game, the referee finally blew his whistle for full time with the clock on 90+6 minutes and a very welcome 3pts for United against another good team.

Full Time


In summing up this game I would have to say PATIENECE. SDFC proved a tough nut to break down at times and the first half was pretty even throughout with very little by way of clear cut chances. They went in at half time 0-0 and that was fair to both teams. The second half though saw SDFC come out fired up and created a couple of chances that were thwarted before United started to get more of a grip on the game. They went ahead with a great Lewis Rankin free kick and extended their lead with 12 minutes to go with another Mitchell Piggon goal before conceding a late consolation SDFC goal in added time to deny United the clean sheet.

Players worthy of a mention for SDFC would have to be the keeper Denham Hinds who made some good saves to keep his team in the hunt right to the end and also the No9 Shay Brennan caused the United defence plenty of problems with his movement on and off the ball all game.

For United this was a very much improved team performance and they fully deserved the 3pts in my opinion. They seemed more settled and solid as a unit and coped well with anything SDFC threw at them. There is still room for more improvement but that will come as the team settles and as the confidence grows they will start to express themselves more I’m sure.

Players worthy of a mention today would have to be Kyle Barnett who continues to be the defensive mainstay and doesn’t let his team mates down week in, week out. Gift Mussa once again put in his usual hard working shift and was always on hand to help Tommy Glasscoe in that midfield battle. Craig Reid is getting back to form and although he didn’t score today, if anybody deserved a goal Craig did. He worked hard all day and was unselfish on numerous occasions setting up his team mates but was just unlucky with the opposing keeper being in the right place most of the time today. For me though today my man of the match must go again to the phenomenal Tommy Glasscoe. He was again immense and was always in the thick of everything United had to offer. I’m running out of things to say about Tommy this season as he is in the form of his life at the moment and deserves all the plaudits so very well played again Tommy Glasscoe.

Stats                 (United)   (SDFC)

On target             (9)           (3)

Off target           (3)            (3)

Corners               (5)             (6)

Free kicks           (20)             (12)

Yellow cards       (1)             (3)

Red cards           (0)             (0)

Offside                 (4)             (7)


Sponsored by