Shepshed Dynamo


Shepshed Dynamo FC v Coventry United Fc
Polymac Cup First Round

Date: Tuesday 19th September 2017
KO: 7.45pm
Venue: The Dovecote Stadium
Attendance: 102

Well hello one and all. After United succumbed to their second 1-0 defeat in 5 days, their next game has soon come round and that means a visit to the Dovecote Stadium to play out the first round of the Polymac packaging league cup against Shepshed Dynamo FC.

Shepshed have had a great start to their campaign so far and if both teams were to play their strongest sides, we would I’m sure be in for another cracker of a game. With that in mind, it won’t be until the teams are announced if either side are taking this competition seriously or not.
United’s manager Terry Anderson is still being hampered with his team selection with the current injury and suspension of key players still lingering. Hopefully that headache should start to improve by the weekend.

The referee gets the game under way and with the game only 6 minutes old United thought they should have had a penalty. United worked the ball forward as Aaron Opoku made his way into the area when the SDFC keeper Dan Bastock looked to bring Opoku down but the referee just waved play on much to the dismay of the travelling Red and Green army.

United have started the game brightly and are knocking the ball around with great confidence. United’s Robert Prinzel found himself in space 25yrds out and tries his luck with a low and hard drive that the keeper Dan Bastock gathers comfortably in the 9th minute. It’s all one way traffic at the minute with United probing looking for that breakthrough. It comes in the 18th minute when they win a free kick just outside the area that Robert Prinzel shapes up to take. He fire his shot into the wall but the ball rebounds into space with Robert gathering it before running past a defender and sending a fierce angled drive into the far corner of the net for the opening goal.


That’s a deserved goal for United and they must keep their shape and discipline as SDFC try to force their way back into the game. United though are not giving SDFC any time on the ball and are not back on the attack themselves. United’s Scott Hammond sends a powerful drive from range just over the bar after some good build up play in the 24th minute.

SDFC finally get their first attempt on goal in the 33rd minute when they break forward with pace. The SDFC No10 Shay Brennan saw his fine shot well saved by the Debutant keeper Carl Oneil.

United continue to retain the ball for long periods and press forward again in the 41st minute when a good cross from U21 player Ryan Palmer sees Aaron Opoku send his header just wide of the target. Then with the half coming to an end United’s Ryan Palmer tries his luck from range but sees his effort go high and wide of the target in the 45th minute. Soon after the referee blew up for half time.

Half time

Second Half
The second half gets under way and SDFC have made a change during the break. They have taken off the No10 Shay Brennan and sent on the No14 Michael Reeve.

United are soon back on the offensive and Scott Hammond after winning the ball with a great tackle shoots again from distance but his effort goes just wide of the target in the 49th minute. Aaron Opoku does well to play in Scott Hammond again in the 50th minute but sadly once again the shot goes wide of the target in the 50th minute.

SDFC relieve some of the pressure by forcing a couple of corners but they are both easily dealt with by the solid looking United defence. United are soon after forced to make a change when the injured Jamie Coleman is taken off and Kyle Barnett is sent on in the 57th minute.

A rare SDFC attack in the 61st minute sees the No9 Alex Troke race into the area as he attempted to chip the on rushing United keeper Carl Oneil that fortunately drops just wide of the post. Two minutes later in the 63rd minute United’s Scott Hammond earned himself a yellow card for one foul too many after already being spoken to by the referee. More chances come for United with Aaron Opoku shooting wide after doing well to hold off a challenge before seeing his shot fly past the far post in the 64th minute.

With just under 20 minutes to go United make another change when they take off Ryan Palmer and send on Joshua O’Grady in the 71st minute. United continue to have the lion’s share of possession and this finally tells in the 75th minute after a Lewis Hudson throw in goes into the area. Aron Wint latches onto the ball and does well to create space for him to pick his spot as he smashed the ball into the back of the net for the all important killer goal.

That should be enough now to see United through to the next round as long as the don’t do anything silly. With that in mind they simply go looking for a third and a thunderous low drive from Robert Prinzel brought out a great save from the SDFC keeper Dan Bastock in the 77th minute.
The game is now into the last 10 minutes and United make their final change in the 83rd minute when they take off Brad Jones and send on Giovanni Green.

The booking tally is levelled up in the 87th minute when the SDFC No7 Tom Carroll is booked for a tackle on Joshua O’Grady.
The game is now into added time and United carve out another couple of chances that sees Joshua O’Grady do well dribbling along the by line before bringing out a good stop from the SDFC keeper on 90+1 and Gio Green sending a spectacular drive just wide of the target on 90+4 minutes to which soon after the referee blew up for full time.

Full Time

In summing up this game, manager Terry Anderson was expecting a reaction after two back to back defeats. Well he got one with United pressing from the start. There were a few changes in the starting line up though it was still a strong looking team that bossed the game from start to finish.
They worked hard as a team to keep the ball for long periods and SDFC to be fair failed to trouble the United defence hardly at all. Players worthy of a mention for SDFC would have to be the No11 Karl Whymark. He was always looking to get his team on the attack when they had the ball and was also able to deliver some good set piece deliveries for his team throughout.

For United they all worked hard for each other but Jeff Woodward had a solid game in the centre of defence. Aaron Opoku had one of his best games for United and is looking stronger and fitter as each game goes by. Aron Wint worked hard all night too and chipped in with the defining second goal. Tommy Glasscoe worked tirelessly snapping at the heels of anybody who had the ball all night but he was pipped at the post for man of the match by Robert prinzel. Robert was a tower of strength tonight and won many aerial battles, winning tackles and cutting out passes. He covered every blade of grass and never gave up and showed great determination to score his goal at the second attempt so well played Robert Prinzel.

Match stats (United) (SDFC)
On target (6) (1)
Off target (7) (1)
Corners (2) (4)
Free kicks (13) (12)
Yellow cards (1) (1)
Red cards (0) (0)
Offside (1) (0)

Sponsored by