Lutterworth Town FC v Coventry United FC

FA Vase Cup First Round


Date:     Saturday 21st October 2017

KO:       3.00pm

Venue: Dunley Way

Attendance: 154


Well hello one and all. The games are coming thick and fast at the minute and after the mid-week defeat to Highgate United in the BSC, they today have the chance to put that game behind them with an away tie against Lutterworth Town in this FA Vase first round fixture.

I don’t really know anything about LTFC to be fair so I’m not really sure what we are going to get from them. They have got this far in the competition so they are sure to give United a good game.

United manager Terry Anderson will hopefully have a near full squad of players to choose from in his quest to get his team through the game and into the draw bag for the next round. This competition is a fantastic Cup with the chance to pit your wits against some of the best step 5/6 teams in the whole country so to get as far as we can, would be a great journey for our fledgling club.

The referee gets the game under way and United press forward right from the start and Dave Moli sends his early shot high and wide of the target in the 1st minute. United keep the ball in their opponents half and another chance soon presents itself from a long throw in in the 5th minute that sees Dave Moli once again go wide of the target with his header.

LTFC respond with a couple of free kicks in the 12th & 14th minutes with United’s keeper Richard Morris punching clear the first and the LTFC No5 Justin Peace heads high and wide for the second.

United have started brightly and are looking to get forward at every opportunity and their persistence pays off in the 20th minute when they press forward again with Lewis Rankin. Lewis does really well jinking past his markers before letting fly with a wonderful shot that powers past the LTFC keeper Kastian Bee for a great opening goal.


That’s a great start for United and hopefully that will settle them down. The conditions today are awful for playing football with the winds blowing a gale making controlling the flight of the very difficult in deed.

LTFC are definitely up for this game and are not too fazed after going a goal down. They are looking to get back into the game and force a couple of set pieces in the way of a corner in the 27th minute that sees the No8 Rhys Roberts header go wide of the target and in the 37th minute the same player rides a good Tom James tackle before racing into the area and sending his shot wide again when a cross would have been the better option.

LTFC are having their best spell of the game so far and are putting United under a little pressure with their direct style of play. They press forward in the 40th minute and United’s Gift Mussa pushes a LTFC player in the back inside the area and the referee blows up for a penalty. The LTFC No6 captain Kade Lewis steps up to take it and duly sends United keeper Richard Morris the wrong way for the equaliser.


The scores are back level and United have it all to do again. They soon create their next chance in the 43rd minute when Lewis Rankin puts Mitchell Piggon through wide on the right. Piggon turns well before rifling a cracking shot off the cross bar. With the game on 45+1 minutes, United’s Tommy Glasscoe gets a yellow card for his challenge. The referee soon after blows up for half time.

Half Time


Second Half

The second half gets under way with neither side making any changes during the break. The first thing the referee has to do is book the LTFC No7 Liam Taylor for his challenge on a United player.

LTFC have come out for this half with their tails up as they look to force themselves ahead. They win a couple of corners in the 49th & 50th minutes but are both easily dealt with by the United defence. Then with more LTFC pressure being applied, United’s Jeff Woodward is booked for his challenge on a LTFC player in the 52nd minute.

The game is being very well contested by both teams and some good clean meaty challenges are being made to stop each other making any in roads. Good build up play by United sees Jeff Woodward shoot just wide in the 56th minute. Then LTFC race up the other end with the No11 Tendai Daire sending his shot just over the cross bar in the 57th minute.

The referee soon after decides to give another United player a yellow card for what looked like a tame tackle to say the least in the 58th minute that goes to Lewis Rankin. I don’t normally lambast the referee’s but if he deems the United lads tackles worthy of yellow cards then he should be applying the same stance for the LTFC challenges to which he isn’t upto now.

United decide to make a change and take off Joshua O’Grady and send on Dominik Allenyne in the 62nd minute. The game is getting very edgy with plenty of winding up going on from the LTFC players with the No4 Mark Warren being the main culprit. Tensions threaten to spill over a number of times with the referee failing to stamp it out and seem happy for it to carry on. Eventually the winding up gets it’s reward after United’s Dominik Alleyne reacts to it and after a farcical dissection of events by the referee and linesman, Alleyne finally is given a yellow card in the 70th minute.

United decide to make another change in the 70th when they take off Dave Moli and send on Craig Reid.

LTFC have had the lion’s share of the second half so far and finally get their reward in the 74th minute when they break forward with another direct move that sees the No11 Tendai Daire race into the area wide on the right. He shoots from a tight angle across the goal and it nestles into the corner of the net as it flew past the out stretched keeper Richard Morris to give his team the lead with 15 minutes to go.


Oh dear, United are now behind with the game moving into the last quarter. One thing about United sides though, they never give up till the end and straight from the kick off they race up the other end where United’s Mitchell Piggon does well to work himself some space before firing his shot into the back of the net for another great finish in the 75th minute.


United are back on level terms and deservedly so in my opinion. The game resumes and soon after United are dealt a massive blow when substitute Dominik Alleyne is shown the yellow card for kicking the ball away that also brings with it a red card following his earlier booking and United are to now finish the game with 10 men in the 76th minute.

The game could be heading for extra time now as the game goes into the last 10 minutes. United though are standing firm despite being a man down and are not just sitting back and holding on. They move the ball forward in the 82nd minute and Craig Reid if fed the ball on the edge of the area. Craig skilfully jinks his way through 3 defenders before finding the space to coolly slot the ball into the back of the net to put his team in the lead and the Red and Green army go wild in celebration. The reaction of the players was heart warming to see also as they all including the bench all jumped on each other as the relief poured out.


Wow, what a finish to the game this is. This game has had it all, some good and some bad but this is what a cup tie is all about. United decide to make their final change by taking off Mitchell Piggon and sending on Reece Saye in the 84th minute. United now just have to hold on for a few more minutes and they do exactly that when finally the referee blows up for full time and United are through to the next round.

Full Time


In summing up this game, this was a real battle of a game. LTFC are a decent side and are a difficult team to break down. Some of their sledging left a lot to be desired but on the whole the United players stood up to it pretty well though it did contribute to Dominik Alleyne’s eventual sending off.

On a more footballing note, this game was a pretty even one with United having the best of the first half and LTFC seeing more of the ball in the second half. All the goals from both teams today were expertly taken with some great individual finishes that made this a cracking cup tie with all the added ingredients that flooded this game with character.

Players worthy of a mention for LTFC would have to be the No8 Rhys Roberts. He made his presence felt throughout this tough encounter and was also unlucky not to score with a couple of chances that he had.

For United, this was a very much improved team performance. They battled hard from start to finish to which they had too to get anything from this game. They had to also put up with in my opinion some very inconsistent decision making from the officials throughout this game. They remained resolute, disciplined and focussed and in the end got the job done and into the draw for the next round. Kyle Barnett and captain Chris Cox stood up well to their direct long ball style, Mitchell Piggon also showed he’s getting nearer to full fitness with a good performance that also included a goal too. Fine fantastic finishes also came from Lewis Rankin and Craig Reid for their goals that would grace any game but for me my man of the match has to go to Tommy Glasscoe. Tommy was once again immense today to which he has been for most of the season now. He got stuck in from the off and battled hard throughout amid having little or no protection from the referee on numerous occasions. Tommy’s passing in my opinion has stepped up a level too. He is looking to release the ball up to his forwards quicker and sets up attacks with purpose so very well played Tommy Glasscoe.

So now we await the draw for the next round and hope that this battling performance will be a springboard for a nice little run of league victories to help our challenge on that front. PUCU

Match Stats   (United)     (LTFC)

On target           (4)             (5)

Off target           (5)             (5)

Corners             (2)               (6)

Free kicks         (11)             (11)

Yellow cards     (5)              (1)

Red cards           (1)             (0)

Offside               (1)             (3)

Sponsored by