Leicester Road


Date:   Tuesday 10th October 2017

KO:       7.45pm

Venue: Leicester Road stadium

Attendance: 60 approx


Well hello one and all. After that fantastic game on Saturday against Rugby Town where United battled hard for a point in their 0-0 draw, United tonight turn their attentions to the league cup with an away tie with their old enemy Leicester Road. Though United comprehensively beat them in a pre-season friendly in the summer, this is sure to be another tough game for United. United have had some great hard fought games against LRFC and tonight’s game should be no different.

United manager Terry Anderson is sure to make a few changes from the side that started on Saturday but how many remains to be seen? United are slowly getting back to full strength so a strong side in my opinion would be good for trying to keep some momentum going!!!!

The referee gets the game under way and LRFC show early intent when they venture forward in the 3rd minute with the No10 Jake Holt trying his luck wide on the left but his shot goes wide of the target. United respond when they win a free kick just outside the area in the 4th minute. Captain for the night Brad Jones stands over the ball and proceeds to send his powerful drive just wide of the post.

Both teams try to suss each other out during the next 15 minutes or so before United start to dominate the play. United break with purpose in the 20th minute with a Tom James surging run down the left before he cuts in and let’s fly with a thunderous drive that the LRFC keeper Will Highland does well to gather. They soon see another chance come when Tom James and Scott Hammond combine well before setting up Mitchell Piggon for a chance at goal but his header goes over the bar in the 22nd minute. With United starting to stamp their authority, Tommy Glasscoe sees his shot from a Joshua O’Grady corner go just wide of the post in the 24th minute.

United soon after are forced into an early change when the injured Donnell Benjamin is replaced with Ryan Makwenje in the 30th minute.

United’s Tom James is having a good first half and getting forward at will. He breaks forward again in the 35th minute and did really well to get a great cross in for Mitchell Piggon that sees his header smash of the cross bar and out to safety.

LRFC finally get a shot at goal when they earn a free kick in a great position just outside the area in the 42nd minute. LRFC@s No10 Jake Holt shapes up to take it and his flighted shot skims the cross bar on its way over.

Then with the game in added time in the first half, a great bit of skill by United’s Joshua O’Grady gives him some space to get a great cross into the area where Debutant Tashaw Dwyer cheekily flicks the ball into the back of the net for the opening goal and a great finish in the 45+1 minute.


The game resumes but it’s not long before the referee blows up for half time.

Half Time


Second Half

The second half gets under way and United have made a change by taking off Tom James and sending on Lewis Rankin. Rankin makes an immediate impact when he sees his angled shot well gathered by the LRFC keeper Will Highland in the 46th minute. Then LRFC race up the other end and The No10 Jake Holt sees his pile driver of a shot go agonisingly wide of the post in the 47th minute. During the same minute United’s Jeff Woodward earns himself a yellow card for a bit of shirt pulling.

United start to pick up the pace and start to move the ball around quickly. They break swiftly in the 54th minute and Scott Hammond sees his shot easily saved by the keeper Will Highland. In the same minute they soon win the ball back again and Lewis Rankin tries his luck with a curling shot that smashes off the post. United are now on fire and LRFC are finding it hard to contain them. United are soon pressing forward again with Ryan Makwenje doing well down the left. He gets to the by line and squares the ball back to Mitchell Piggon who does well to make space for him to get his shot off before it’s nestling in the back of the net for the all important second goal in the 55th minute.


United’s persistent pressure finally paid off and the comfort of a two goal lead is rightly deserved in my opinion. LRFC decide to make a change of their own when they take off the No11 Joe Kennedy and send on the No16 Nuno Gomes in the 56th minute. They soon after make another change when they surprisingly take off the influential No10 Jake Holt and send on the No14 Harry Solomons in the 60th minute. More changes follow soon after when United take off Mitchell Piggon and send on Aaron Opoku in the 62nd minute.

LRFC make a rare foray forward in the 72nd minute with a quick break that sees the No16 Nuno Gomes shoot just over the bar from 18yrds out. LRFC make their final change in the 73rd minute when they take off the No7 Jordan Burrows and send on the No12 Sam Munton.

United are looking comfortable and are keeping the ball well. They patiently wait for a chance to press forward and Ryan Makwenje did well again down the left before setting up Lewis Rankin who then sees his shot well saved by the keeper Will Highland in the 75th minute.

With the game now approaching the last 10 minutes, LRFC are forced to play out the remainder of the game with 10 men when the No14 Harry Solomons has to come off injured.

The game with United continuing to run the clock down by holding on to the ball finally ran down with no further chances worth mentioning as the referee calls time and United move onto the next round of the league cup with a good solid performance.

Full Time


In summing up this game, United were always in control of this game for long periods after the opening 20 minutes. They continued to probe the LRFC defence and finally got their deserved break through on the stroke of half time. The second half saw United continue in the same vein and limit LRFC to a couple of long range efforts although one free kick by the impressive Jake Holt skimmed the cross bar.

United’s persistence finally bear fruit in the 55th minute when Piggon got their second goal and LRFC never really looked like getting back into the game from 2-0 down.

Players worthy of a mention would have to be LRFC’s Jake Holt who came closest to scoring for them and pinged some delightful balls all around the pitch throughout the game until he was taken off in the 60th minute.

For United it was a good solid team performance that rarely was threatened. Tom James had a good first half making some great forward runs before going off at the break. Scott Hammond had a good second half and saw a lot more of the ball to suggest he will have a future with the Red and Green’s if he keeps on progressing. Robert Prinzel returning to the team had a good game and sprayed some great forward balls to spring many attacks and got stuck in at the back when required too but he just misses out on my man of the match award to the on form Tommy Glasscoe. Tommy has been playing great of late and put in another top class performance tonight. He is tigerish in the tackle and played many intelligent passes to team mates all game and showed great energy levels as he covered every blade of grass so well played Tommy Glasscoe.

Match Stats         (United)   (LRFC)

On target                 (8)            (1)

Off target                 (4)             (6)

Corners                   (7)             (3)

Free kicks               (9)             (9)

Yellow cards           (1)             (0)

Red cards               (0)             (0)

Offside                    (1)             (5)

Sponsored by