Coventry United Fc v Highgate United FC

Birmingham Senior Cup


Date:     Wednesday 18th October 2017

KO:         7.45pm

Venue:   Butts Park Arena



Well hello one and all. After the disappointment of Saturday’s 3-3 draw with Shawbury United, United tonight have the chance to put things right with a game against fellow premier league members Highgate United in this Birmingham senior cup fixture.

I suppose though it will ultimately depend on how the manager Terry Anderson is going to treat this competition. Last season he fielded almost all of the U21’s so the starting line up will be an interesting one to say the least.

The referee gets the game underway and the opening 10 minutes sees both teams sussing each other out and cancelling one another out. The first decent chance falls to United when debutant Jordan Smith puts in a great cross from the right for Mitchell Piggon to see his header saved well by the HUFC keeper Bradley Catlow in the 10th minute. Then United are soon back on the attack when Craig Reid puts in an inviting cross for Jordan Smith to direct a firm header goal bound but it’s somehow cleared away off the line in the 11th minute.

HUFC have not come here to make up the numbers and stun the Red and Green army in the 15th minute with a quick long thrown in that sees a good early cross turned in for the opening goal by the No9 Marco Adaggio.


That goal was to be fair against the run of the early play but United have just got to keep on working hard for each other to get back into the game. Hard work pays off for them in the 17th minute when Mitchell Piggon is played in. Piggon does well to create some space before seeing his shot very well save by the HUFC keeper Bradley Catlow but the rebound is picked up by United’s Dominik Alleyne who coolly slides the ball in for the equaliser.


The game is now all square again and United are continuing to press forward looking for their next breakthrough. Another chance is not long in coming when Mitchell Piggon flicks the ball into the path of Craig Reid who runs into the area and sees his shot well saved by the keeper Bradley Catlow in the 22nd minute. United waste no time in going on the attack again when Mitchell Piggon and Craig Reid combine well and then Reid’s shot gets a slight deflection as it nestles into the back of the net to give united the lead in the 26th minute.


This game has definitely opened up and HUFC try to respond with some attacking play of their own. They see a Marco Adaggio shot go wide of the target in the 36th minute before they power forward again in the 37th minute with Adaggio agin being set free into the area before his close range blast towards goal is somehow fantastically saved by the United keeper Carl O’neil.

HUFC are now on top and are causing United plenty of problems. They are soon on the attack again with pace and a great cross sees the No7 Scott Rickards scoring the equaliser with a neat finish in the 39th minute.


Well to be fair HUFC deserved that for their persistence and United definitely know that they are in a game. United’s woes are made worse straight from the restart when they press forward again. Great build up play sees the No11 Lei Brown score with a neat finish in the 40th minute to give his team the lead.


Now that’s some turnaround and United have it all to do again. With the first half drawing to an end United try to get back on level terms in the 41st minute Jordan Smith’s shot is tipped over the bar by the keeper Bradley Catlow. Soon after the referee blows up for half time.

Half Time


Second Half

The second half gets under way with no changes being made by either side. United have an early chance after a good run and cross by the impressive Dominik Alleyne sees Mitchell Piggon shoot straight at the keeper Bradley Catlow in the 47th minute.

HUFC though soon find their feet again and start to stamp their authority on the game with some meaningful possession. They spring another attack in the 55th minute and the No9 Marco Adaggio is in a great position to score but the keeper Carl O’Neil makes a fine save to thwart him that goes out for a corner. The cross comes into the box and the No5 Scott Turner rises highest for a simple header that drops into the back of the net to increase their lead.


Now United have a problem. They are now two goals behind with 35 minutes to go. United decide to make their first change of the night when they take off Jordan Smith and send on Scott Hammond in the 58th minute. They soon after make another when they take off Mitchell Piggon and send on Tashan Dwyer in the 64th minute.

The next 4 minutes sees HUFC create too further good chances that go just wide of the target in the 66th & 68th minutes before United make their final change by taking off Reece Saye and sending on Joshua O’Grady in the 73rd minute.

The changes seem to make an impact when they press forward in the 74th minute after a quick throw in. Scott Hammond races into the area and coolly slides the ball past the HUFC keeper Bradley Catlow for a great finish that give his side a foothold back in the game.


United now have 15 minutes to get on level terms at least but they are dealt a devastating blow when HUFC race up field and the No9 Marco Adaggio lets fly with a thunderbolt of a shot that leaves the United keeper Carl O’neil with no chance for a great goal to surely kill any hopes of United getting back into this game in the 75th minute.


United now have a huge mountain to climb and as the game goes into the last 10 minutes HUFC decide to make a change when they take off No3 Reece Stayley and send on No12 George Robbins in the 83rd minute. They make another change in the 90th minute by taking off the No7 Scott Rickards and send on the No14 Ben Thomas that turns out to be the last thing before the referee plays 5 minutes of uneventful added time until he blows up for full time and united are out of this competition at the first hurdle.

Full Time


In summing up this game I would have to say that United were not really at the races tonight apart from the opening 25 minutes of the game.

There were plenty of changes from the team that played on Saturday and I’m sure that would be a major factor in the reasons for United’s abject performance that got worse as the game went on. They struggled to keep the ball for any length of time and looked very uneasy at the back. The midfield lacked its normal bite and tenacity which resulted in the lack of attacking opportunities especially in the second half.

HUFC held their shape far better on the night and scored some really good goals and no one could deny that they fully deserved their victory and passage into the next round.

Players worthy of a mention tonight would have to be the very impressive Marco Adaggio for HUFC. He caused United problems all night and claimed himself a brace to round off a great performance.

For United to be fair I’m struggling to pick anybody out after tonight’s team performance. The keeper Carl Oneil made a couple of good saves with one of them being a fantastic save but for me I would have to give my man of the match award to Dominik Alleyne for his impressive first half performance that saw him racing up and down the line linking up well with his team mates and being on hand to grab himself a goal too so well played Dominik Alleyne.

Well I think after that, everybody connected to the club should just put tonight to bed and concentrate on the next game on Saturday. We win together and we lose together and I’m sure we Terry and the boys will get it right soon hopefully starting on Saturday in the FA Vase. PUCU

Match stats       (United)   (HUFC)

On target             (7)             (11)

Off target             (2)              (6)

Corners                 (3)             (7)

Free kicks             (15)           (14)

Yellow cards         (0)             (0)

Red cards             (0)             (0)

Offside                 (1)               (4)

Sponsored by